There is no doubt that Busselton in December is absolutely buzzing. The town is filled with Ironman athletes in compression gear… the foreshore fills with marquees and red carpet… and the atmosphere is electric.
As a triathlete AND a local, this has to be my favourite time of year – right in the heart of Bindi territory. So to save you wandering town aimlessly this week, I have put together a hit list of my go-to places to visit in Busselton… so you can spend more time with a latte in hand and your feet up!
- Shelter Brewing Co coffee and beers, what more could you need? With a front and centre view of the Busselton jetty, this brewery does great coffee and has plenty of room for bikes out the front.
- Busselton Jetty train: The Busselton Jetty is an iconic must-see attraction. To save your legs there is a quaint jetty train that will take you out the observatory at the end of the jetty. Out here you will see some amazing underwater life/fish/coral before you swim in the Geographe Bay waters on race day.
- Busselton Foreshore: This is the place to do all your taper-week runs and athlete spotting. There is a shark net around the small jetties so you can get a safe ocean swim done – one lap around is about 450m. Finish with coffee at The Goose or the Equinox Cafe.
- Geographe Leisure Centre: The local leisure centre has a 25m outdoor poor if you prefer for your race week swim. Look out for plenty of pro-action here too! There is a sauna and spa too if that’s your jam. The centre also has a great gym for family/friends travelling with you.
- Esplanade Hotel: This local icon is undergoing a major refurbishment and is a family friendly, relaxed option for drinks and pub meals. Super close to the foreshore it’s sure to be popular on race day too.
- Western Grower’s Fresh: This Farmer’s market is a new addition to Busselton, and is right at the big roundabout on the causeway as you enter town. There are beautiful ready made salads and healthy meals (including vegetarian options) and fabulous local produce. Right next door is a takeaway coffee drive-through Yahava – so if you are looking to avoid the busy town centre you can get most of your healthy supplies out here!
- Coco’s Thai: this small local Thai eatery can get super busy, so be sure to book a table or just a takeaway option.
- Rocky Ridge Brewery: a local brewer with a very relaxed cellar door right opposite Signal Park on the foreshore (10 Marine Terrace) . Chill in their front garden for tastings and takeaways of their latest beers on one of their 25 taps.
- The Good Egg Café: You can’t go past this place for clean eating options! Delicious and nutritious it is my fave place to grab a bite to eat. It has an upstairs work hub so if you are like me and combine travel/racing/work then it is the perfect spot to head for a quiet moment.
- The Ironman Expo: If you’re in town for Ironman you will of course head to the expo… look out for race week specials, and all the latest in swim-bike-run gear. We will be there with our BINDI stall so definitely drop in for a race chat and snap up our expo specials!
Can’t wait to see you in Busso for race week!